A century in the making
This building is a fine example of a simple and elegant Masonic structure. It was purpose built over 5 years starting in 1924, funded by members of Mt. Newton Lodge No. 89 and Eastern Star Ruth Chapter No. 22, the latter being a Masonic organization for women of all ages and backgrounds that is over 150 years old. It is a rectangular building constructed due East and West as Lodge halls should be (if possible) and has a large banquet room and a full kitchen and bar on the main floor. The Lodge room, or Temple, is located on the upper floor. It is managed and owned by the Saanichton Masonic Temple Association which was formed by the two founding groups and is now solely managed by United Peninsula Lodge No. 24, an amalgamation of three Lodges.
Charity, Service and Community Involvement
United Peninsula Lodge No. 24 is actively involved in charitable and community-based ventures. From food banks and hospitals to military service organizations, its members take pride in being energetically engaged in supporting their local community. There are also 5 scholarships given out each year to students pursuing higher education. You can learn more about United Peninsula lodge No. 24, its history and community involvement further down this page.
8105 Derrinberg Road, Central Saanich, British Columbia V8M 1K1, Canada
United Peninsula Lodge No. 24 is an amalgamation of three previous Lodges; United Service Lodge No. 24 (established 1894); Mt. Newton Lodge No. 89 (1919); and Sidney Lodge No. 143 (1952). United Peninsula Lodge and other concordant bodies meet in the Saanich Masonic Temple.
In 1924, Mt. Newton Lodge and Eastern Star Ruth Chapter No. 22 formed the Saanich Masonic Temple Association to build the existing building on the northern part of the lands. Eastern Star Ruth Chapter gave the land, valued at $1,200 and Mt. Newton Lodge contributed the labour and cost of the lodge building, approximately $12,000.
Financing the construction was aided by the issuance of fifteen shares; twelve shares were held by Mt. Newton Lodge and three by Eastern Star Ruth Chapter. The Lodge subsequently acquired all the shares and bought an additional piece of land to the south, which is currently being used as a parking lot.
The two story, wood constructed, rectangular-shaped building is 73 feet long by 32 feet wide. It is situated in an east-west direction. The construction of the building took approximately five years and was completed in 1929. The main entrance to the building is located on the west side; the lower floor has a large banquet room which holds up to 100 guests, with a full kitchen and a bar; and the Lodge and the ante rooms are located on the upper floor. The foundation stone for the building was laid on February 23, 1929. The ceremony was presided by the Grand Master, Most Worshipful Brother Robert Baird.
United Peninsula Lodge has a strong association with the Canadian Armed Forces, with many members in the Navy and employed at the Dock Yard in Esquimalt. Currently there are approximately 110 members within the Lodge. The Crest of Lodge shows an anchor for United Service (Navy), a sheath of wheat for Mt. Newton, (farming) and Blue (sea) for Sidney Lodge.
United Peninsula Lodge also continues its tradition of community involvement and scholarships. Recent involvement and donations include the Sidney Food Bank; Saanich Peninsula Hospital & Children’s Hospital Foundation; Military Family Resource Centre; Citadel Canine Society (comfort dogs for first responders & military PTSD); Government House Foundation etc. Annually, United Peninsula Lodge provides five scholarships ($1,500 each) to students within our community pursuing higher education.
United Peninsula Lodge No. 24 meets at 7:00 pm, first Wednesday, from September to June. You may contact us by email firstname.lastname@example.org or through our website: https://www.unitedpeninsula.ca
If you wish more information on joining our Lodge please visit https://www.unitedpeninsula.ca/becoming-a-freemason.html