Nelson Lodge No. 23 was constituted in 1894. The first meetings were held in the Odd Fellow’s Hall on Water Street until it was destroyed by fire. In 1923, a new building for Nelson Lodge was constructed at this location. The antique Lodge furniture, within the Lodge, was donated by a Lodge from the United Grand Lodge of England.
The Masonic symbol adorning the exterior of this building has a different origin. Nelson had one of the largest Chinese communities in the province and a Lodge of Chinese Freemasons once resided on Vernon Street. In the early 1900’s, the Vernon Street Lodge moved to a location on Lake Street. Tragedy struck when this Lodge was also destroyed by fire. Right Worshipful Brother Gordon Webb, a true Craftsman, and well known to the Chinese Freemasons at the time, was presented the sign that had marked their building. In the early 1980’s, the sign was refurbished and re-installed on this building.
329 Baker Street, Nelson, British Columbia V1L4H6, Canada