The ground level of the building was originally constructed as the First National Bank in 1916. In a space in the rear of the new bank and facing Bonner Street, the Post Office moved in and occupied that space until 1937. The new building and its businesses were christened by the 1916 flood.
In 1923, a 35 foot addition was added on its north side facing Main Street. Many businesses operated from the ground floor over the years. Its first occupant was the Consolidated Co. A short time later it became O. C. Wilson's Bonners Ferry Abstract. Saunders & White operated a grocery store located between the Post Office and the bank from 1924 until 1940.
Since the 1950's the empty spaces on the ground floor have been occupied at different times by the VFW, the Liquor Store, Dr. Durose, the Pace Kerby Agency, Kayser Insurance, Karl's Jewelry, The Athletic Connection, Coast to Coast Store, True Value Hardware, the R-Store, the Dollar Store and Huckleberry Variety.
In 1963, the library moved to the bank building where it remained until the new library was built in 1974.
The exterior facade has been removed revealing two original First National Bank engraved signs facing Main and Bonner Streets. The Masonic emblem can be seen on the second story that faces Main Street.
6415 Bonner Street, Bonners Ferry, Idaho, USA
The Lodge was Chartered in 1904 with 16 members. In 1907 Moyea Chapter 31, Order of the Eastern Star was organized. In 1937 the ladies of the Eastern Star organized the Job's Daughters. In 1959, the Order of DeMolay installed new officers.
In April 1923, plans were being made to build a one-story addition adjoining the First National Bank on the north. With the addition, members of the Bonners Ferry Masonic Lodge were interested in the plan to construct a second story for lodge quarters. It was estimated a 60x120 feet space could be built for about $9,000, and another $3,000 would be needed for furnishings.
In an effort to raise the funds needed, in July 1923, The Masonic Temple Association of Bonners Ferry, Idaho (a Corporation) sold 300 First Mortgage Bonds at $50 each. First Mortgage Bonds #38 and #116 were recently donated to the Museum. Printed on the bonds - "This bond is one of a series of three hundred" sold in the amount of $50. The Masons raised $15,000 from the bonds for the construction of the temple. Short of the money needed, they must have taken more in donations. These two bonds came from Dr. R.M. Bowell's estate. They were not redeemed, maybe because the bond also reads: "this bond shall be payable as soon as there are sufficient monies in the bond redemption fund of said corporation."
The dedication of the new Masonic Temple was held on February 12, 1924. The Grand lodge officers of the Masonic lodge, the Order of the Eastern Star, the Royal Arch and Knights Templar Masons were all invited for the dedication. Freemasons from neighboring towns in Idaho and Montana were invited as well.
Within the new lodge, the front part was "divided into a large lodge room and dance hall with oak floor." The lodge room was "carpeted and had new leather furnishings." The ladies restroom was "furnished with the finest reed furniture with velour cushions." The kitchen was "finished in white enamel and was equipped with an electric range. ‘The men's smoking room was 'in the rear of the building and equipped with leather chairs and lounges.' The buildings and furnishings cost the Brethren $20,000.